Saturday, April 2, 2011

local florist love - erica's expressions.

I first heard about Erica's Expressions through a friend and colleague of mine.  We're always talking weddings together, so it's no surprise that Erica's Expressions came up in conversation - this friend of mine grew up with Erica in Moses Lake.

After stalking perusing Erica's Expression's Facebook page and website, I decided I needed to meet this talented lady, who at a very young age, has been working with the same wholesaler for 15 years.  Intriguing, no?

She was gracious enough to sip some coffee with me at Madeleine's downtown, and let me ask her a few questions about her journey as a florist (with a few other randoms thrown in for good measure).

Meet Erica (and her adorable family).


How long have you been Erica's Expressions?
Since 2001.  I was in business before then, but I had to be 18 to get a business license.  


So you went to school for this in Moses lake, right?
Yes, eventually.  And I minored in wedding planning.  I did a couple of night classes that were specifically geared toward wedding planning.  


Did you know that once you started taking those floral classes that this is exactly what you wanted to do for your career?
Well, at my high school I started the floral shop, and I didn't want anything to do with it at first.  They wanted to do a program completely run by the students as a business course.  I started it as a freshman.  My senior project was doing the graduation floral.  I had to train everyone, run everything, do all the bookkeeping, and all of the ordering.  And I've actually worked with the same wholesaler now for 15 years.  So if I say I want pink, he knows what I mean by pink.  I don't know why I didn't like it at first, maybe because the teacher was forcing me into it.  But when I was done with it, I missed it.  I had so many people calling me for weddings after I graduated.  Then I realized I did want to do it once it wasn't forced on me. 


What would you say so far has been the most rewarding part about your career?
Probably this year.  I've been featured three different times.  Working for David's Bridal on my own as a consultant.  And then Apple Brides finding me without me finding them.  To not even know that they were featuring me, then all of the sudden have people calling me, and then I go online and see it.  It felt really good, because instead of being just a part of something, I was the whole feature.  And then Spokane Bride Blog e mailed me saying they wanted to feature me as well.  Doors are just opening more. 


What would you say has been the most challenging part of your career so far? 
I think going out there and advertising.  Also being a mom, I want to take care of my son first, but at the same time I need to get people's attention.  I love being a mom, but I want to push my career harder.  The most challenging has been balancing that.


That was actually my next question, how do you balance all of that? 
The good thing is, my office is at home.  When we bought our house my husband promised me he would build me a shop.  And lukily for me, my son takes 3 hour naps, so I do everything I can in those 3 hours.  Sunday's I don't plan any consultations, I'll e mail stuff or try to do quick stuff, but I try to make sure that day is completely our family time.  My husband does help me a lot.  I'll tell him I need all of the prep work done and he'll do a lot of it.  It's funny because when we got married he told me don't ever ask me to help you do your flowers, it's a total girl thing.  And then he really got into it. 


What's your favorite thing about being a mom?
Oh, everything.  I don't know, I really really enjoy it.  
Erica talked a lot during this piece about how she appreciates and is thankful for being able to stay at home and have the flexibility to work and at the same time raise her son and being able to teach him the values and the structure that she grew up in herself.


What would be your one piece of advice for other aspiring women out there with an entrepreneurial heart?
Time and patience.  It might not happen tomorrow; it takes time. I've been in this for 10 years, but it's just been the last 3 years that have been the most rewarding.  A lot of the times I find  the things that happen easily for you aren't always the best, or you don't appreciate them as much.  If you constantly keep your high standard and not rush into things, your work will speak for itself. 


Is there a particular book on your nightstand that you're reading?
I actually don't like to read.  What's probably on my nightstand to be honest with you is wedding magazines.  I'm constantly looking at new things.  The post office, I swear they think that I'm getting married every year.  But I did actually recently finish a book called Heaven is for Real.


If you were stranded on an island, what three things or people would you want to be with you?  
1.) I would take an X-Acto knife, I know that sounds really funny, but I can do pretty much any craft project that you need as long as I have an X-Acto knife. 
2.) My family. I told Erica this answer doesn't quite count, because that's more than one person or thing, but I'd let it slide.

She loves celebrity gossip, so she thought she'd maybe bring something to keep her up on the latest and greatest there, but then decided she may like to be away from it.  She couldn't think of a third, so we decided she'd just take two things with her to her island. 


If you could eat one thing and only one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Probably tacos. We eat tacos all the time, and they're easy.


What does your perfect day look like?
I like the rain.  I love cloudy raining days.  I love fall, I love when the leaves are still barely on the trees, it's time for jeans and sweaters.  I would like to be outside, or even just watch a movie.  I watch enough Cars lately, I would watch it again.  Just being with my family. 

::End::

 Here is some of Erica's stunning work:













Visit her website here.

Like her on Facebook here.

Find her on Wedding Wire here.

Read her article on Apple Brides here.

This girl is all over the place!  

I loved chatting with Erica, and I hope to have the opportunity to do it again.  She was so down to earth, real about who she is, and confident in what she does.  If you're looking for a good local florist, you should definitely start with Erica's Expressions.


Cheers.




4 comments:

  1. Did you know Erica did the flowers for our wedding too? Loved working with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali-
    You are so sweet!

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats Erica! Great Job Ali! - Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had her too!! Al, did I introduce you to Erica's Expressions first? I hope so... I want to take all the credit! haha kidding! Love her!

    ReplyDelete